Lanarkshire Philatelic Society
Dr. Kenneth Liddell
It was a wonderfully varied Display that was presented at the Opening meeting of the Lanarkshire Philatelic Society on Friday evening.
new President, Dr Ken Liddell of Lanark
- began his display with cards showing his interest in all things medical
– postcards showing Scottish Red Cross Hospitals of World War 1 – these
included Drumpellier Auxiliary Hospital; Calder Grove Auxiliary Hospital;
Springburn Hospital – among others.
Lanark Postal History – pre 1840 – a series of covers depicting the postal
markings of this era.
fascinating display regarding "The
Ritchie Family of Dalserf"
– particularly relating to Janet (Jen) Clark Murray (nee Ritchie) who was born
on 14th March 1899 and died – age 107 – on 4th January
2007. She was baptised by the Rev. W.
Rorison who had been born during the
reign of King George IV!
some historical postcards showing bygone views of Crawfordjohn; of Logierait
Village in Perthshire
and of the Isle of Lismore.
first round ended with "Tragedy
off the West Coast"
– this related to the sinking of the "Arandora
– during the Second World War. The ship
was carrying Italian and German Internees and POWs to Canada – when she was
struck by an
on 2nd July 1940. Some 805 were
killed and many of the bodies washed up on the west coast of Scotland.
interesting view of postcards and postal stationery both foreign
– Italy, Netherlands, Greece and Scottish Hotels – Lochinver, Tarbert, St
Andrews – among others - was
It is in Illinois; in Florida; in Ontario; in Nova Scotia – and in
historical postcards gave all
interesting views of "The
Road to Achiltibuie"
in Wester Ross; "Douglas
– these included bygone and memorable views of Rigside; Douglas Water; Glespin
and Douglas West. Also views from Peebles-shire
– of "Manor
and Kirkton Manor".
Vote of Thanks was given by the immediate past President,
Anne Holmes, who gave Ken warm thanks for such
a wonderfully varied display.
Our next meeting in the Caledonian Bowling Club, Motherwell Road, Hamilton, is on Friday 18th September, 2015 at 7:30pm when LPS member, Walter Tytherleigh will display "World War 1 – Germany".
Anyone with an interest in stamps, postal history, postcards etc is very
welcome to attend.