Lanarkshire Philatelic Society

 

"British Cathedrals"

 

Mr. Kenneth Norris

 

"British Cathedrals" was the title of the display given by our Honorary President, Ken Norris – it proved to be a fascinating subject.

 

There were postcards, cachets, postmarks, stamps, covers and air letters to illustrate the many aspects of the cathedrals.

 

In general the postcards showed the familiar outside view of the cathedral – but others illustrated the "golfer" (1350 AD) stained glass window at Gloucester; St Swithin’s Shrine in Winchester; the story of the Lincoln Imp; and the "Chained Library" at Hereford.

 

Amongst the many beautiful covers were - the separate bell tower at Chichester; the release of Terry Waite (envoy of the Archbishop of Canterbury);  the Luftwaffe attack on Coventry; the Boy Bishop of Hereford; the 450th Anniversary of the burial of Catherine of Aragon at Peterborough, 29th January, 1536; Visit of the Queen to Ripon, to distribute the Maundy Money; 400th Anniversary of the translating the Bible into Welsh; anniversary of the end of WW2 (at St Paul’s);  the Opening of Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral;  Various covers celebrated Anniversaries of the Cathedrals; Wells Portsmouth – 800 years; Lincoln – 900 years; Westminster Cathedral – 100 years.

 

Amongst the postmarks displayed were – Durham – the Refuge Door Knocker; the three spires of Lichfield; the proclamation of the first Prince of Wales in 1301 at Lincoln (this used on stamp depicting the current Prince of Wales – 22nd July, 1981); visit of Pope John Paul II to Southwark; also his visit to Canterbury.

 

An interesting set of stamps was issued by Guernsey to mark the fact that Guernsey granite was used for the steps of St Paul’s Cathedral.  Exeter issued special local stamps for use during the Postal Strike; also shown were the many other stamps illustrating British cathedrals.

 

Scottish Cathedrals were not forgotten!  Brechin, founded by Kenneth II (10th C) and the beautiful War Memorial window at Dunblane were both illustrated on postcards; St Giles, Edinburgh, and St Magnus in Kirkwall both had lovely covers and postmarks; a special cover for the Gulf Memorial Service at Glasgow Cathedral was displayed - as were 2 lovely Air Letters – for Glasgow and St Andrews.

 

Ely Cathedral was also illustrated by an Air Letter, and covers, stamps and postmarks!

 

Ed Archer led members in giving the Vote of Thanks for such an informative and interesting display.

 

Our next meeting in St Andrews Parish Church Hall, Avon Street, Hamilton,  is on Friday, 4th  March, 2011 at 7:30pm when guest, Ken Adams, will display ‘Imperial India’.   

 

Anyone with an interest in stamps, postal history, postcards etc – and other collectable items - is very welcome to attend.