Lanarkshire Philatelic Society
Strathclyde Postcard Club
The Lanarkshire Philatelic Society was pleased to welcome members of the Strathclyde Postcard Club to the meeting on Friday, 20th March. The President of the Society, Elsie Miller, introduced the four members.
Ian Hamilton displayed postcards showing different aspects of ‘The building of the Forth Railway Bridge.’ This was opened on 4th March, 1890, by the then Prince of Wales (who became King Edward VII). It was built by Messrs Tancred & Arrol & Co. The gradual stages of building were shown – and also postcards of some of the workmen – and of the supervisers. The great opening day arrived and the Caledonian Express crossed over.
War came and postcards showed Nazi Air Raids which, fortunately, missed the bridge!
There were various advertising cards – especially from hotels in South Queensferry. The display ended with some lovely embroidered postcards of the bridge.
Ken Norris displayed ‘Thistles’. A great variety of cards bearing, somewhere on the card, thistles! There were many different Scottish views; pictures of Royalty; cards bearing the legend ‘For Auld Lang Syne’; others with ‘Thistle remind you we’re no’ forgettin’ you!’ Also many beautifully embroidered thistles on cards.
The consequences of sitting or standing on thistles were comically displayed!
Various Coats of Arms were shown, each with thistles. The display finished with cards displaying ‘The Scotsman’s Coat of Arms’ – which inevitably, amongst other items, had thistles!
After the break Ian Kennedy took members to his favourite place in Scotland; Dalmally, Glen Orchy and Loch Awe, where he has spent many happy holidays. Pictures of these places were displayed and Ian told very interesting history of each.
He showed pictures of Kilchurn Castle which, to begin with, could hardly be seen for undergrowth and trees – to now, when all that has been cleared and the castle can be seen in all its ruinous glory. Old pictures were displayed of the remote Auch Shooting Lodge and of Ardbrecknish House Hotel, Dalmally. These are both in existence today. Then Ian spoke about pictures of old thatched cottages, which are now no longer in existence, at the entrance to Glen Strae – home of the MacGregors – and also in Stronmilchan.
The lovely Church at Glen Orchy, built on an islet, and is in Gothic Revival style, was financed by the then Earl of Breadalbane. Ian finished with a picture of a school of the area – taken at the turn of the century – showing barefoot children – and one or two with ‘tackety buits’!
The final display was given by David Brown who showed many interesting postcards of Cambuslang. He explained that the name Cambuslang is thought to have come from ‘Cambus’ meaning ‘bend in the river’ – and ‘lang’ – meaning ‘long.’ It was known as a ‘village’ then! He showed cards of trams in the Main Street – a card from 1904 had tram no. 866 of Glasgow Tramways on its way to Bridgeton Cross and Partick. A card of the wonderful War Memorial in the Public Park. Various views of streets of Cambuslang, of Borgie Glen, of the now ruinous Gilbertfield Castle, of Stonelaw Woods (now part of the public park within Rutherglen) were of much interest.
David finished with a modern card of the Miners’ Memorial situated on the site of Toll Pit.
Bernard Berrie, giving the Vote of Thanks, remarked on how members had learned some new and interesting history through the evening – and gave warm thanks to the four visitors who had given such excellent displays.
Our next meeting in St Andrews Parish Church Hall is on Friday, 24th April, 2009 at 7:30pm when Club member, Alan Wishart, will display ‘From Russia with Love.’
Anyone with an interest in stamps, postal history, postcards etc are very welcome to attend.