Lanarkshire Philatelic Society
The members of the ‘Lanarkshire’ had very interesting history lessons last Friday (14th December) when Jim Fulton presented his display on Hungary and Bill Jardine displayed Trinidad and Tobago.
Jim began with stamps issued in 1928 and 1938 to commemorate the 890th and 900th Anniversary of the death of St Stephen who was the first king of Hungary. Throughout the years many stamps show churches and buildings named after him, his beautiful crown etc. In 1916 stamps were issued showing Franz Josef, the Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary – at that time Hungary was the only part of the Austrian Empire allowed to issue its own stamps.
With the ending of the First World War Hungary suffered many changes! In 1919 it was now under the supervision of France – but was much reduced in size as much of the outer boundaries were now occupied by Czechoslovakia, Austria, Croatia, Serbia and Romania. Stamps issued at this time reflected these differing occupations. The remaining country of Hungary was now named the Hungarian People’s Republic. By the Treaty of Trianon in 1920 the lost territories were now officially ceded to other countries.
It was this Treaty that raised great feeling of injustice and in 1938, pre-war meetings in Vienna made the decision that some of the lost territories should be returned to Hungary. There were many interesting stamps and postcards reflecting all this history.
The Second World War also brought further changes of boundaries as once again parts of Hungary was forcibly occupied by other countries – and again, this is reflected in stamps of Hungary being overprinted by the occupying country. After the War, the reallocation of territories was again made and gradually Hungary became the country as is known to us today.
Jim ended his display with stamps issued by Hungary in ‘peace time’ showing various cultural, physical and geographical aspects of the country.
Trinidad & Tobago
After the break, Bill Jardine took members off to the Caribbean – to Trinidad and Tobago. In 1898, a set of stamps was issued to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the discovery of Trinidad by Christopher Columbus (in 1498) who reputedly gave it its name derived from the Holy Trinity; he also visited Tobago and named it Bella Forma, but this later changed to Tobago – probably derived from tobacco.
A stamp, of April 1847, showing the ‘Lady McLeod’ steamship, was of much interest as this ship, owned privately by a Scot, David Bryce, offered the carriage of letters between Port of Spain and San Fernando for the price of a 5c stamp. But, the stamp displayed was a photocopy as this stamp is now offered, by Stanley Gibbons, for a purchase price of £25,000!!
This was a privately issued stamp and it was not until May 1858 that the Post Office began using stamps of Great Britain in the two islands. Hand stamps were used on overseas mail until 1879 when Tobago stamps were introduced.
In January 1899, Tobago became a Ward of Trinidad and stamps of Trinidad were used until 1913 when issues inscribed ‘Trinidad and Tobago’ came into use.
Bill also showed many stamps from Trinidad and Tobago issued throughout the years –depicting many different aspects of history, tourism, anniversaries as well as the geography and culture.
Terry Woods proposed the Vote of Thanks to both Jim and Bill for presenting their most interesting and informative displays.
Our next meeting in St Andrews Parish Church Hall is on Friday, 21st December at 7:30pm when members will present their Displays on the theme of ‘Winter’.
Anyone with an interest in stamps, postal history, postcards etc will be very welcome to attend.